Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vocabulary Week 3-- Performances are Friday, due with your scripts

Week #3 Vocabulary Writing Immunity Etiquette Ingenious Ambitious Magnitude
Cunning Crevice Vigil Ritual Industrious Taunting

SHORT STORY WRITING:You must choose at least 9 words in a story based on one of the following skit or talk show focuses.
SKIT

1. Create an ending to the book or how you think the book will end.
2. Conduct a radio talk show in which you introduce the characters as guest stars.
3. Conduct a talk show, such George Lopez, Oprah, Chelsea Lately, Dr. Phil, Ellen, etc.
4. Re-create a scene from the book, but change what you might say or do to use the vocabulary words.

**This could also be done using Xtranormal or makebeliefscomix.com**

BONUS STORY: If you wish to replace a prior vocabulary story, also write a story using these words and these story lines:1. Write a story that summarizes things that Lily has learned about bee-keeping from August.
2. Write a story Zach wanting to be a lawyer and Lily criticizing his plans.
3. Write a story about June’s relationship with Neil, or write a story about the different jobs that June has worked (teacher, funeral home music, bee-keeping).

Extranormal Videos:
OneShot Videos
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11591488/the-secret-life-of-bees



Double Trouble Videos
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11591916/secret-life-of-bees-scene
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11605350/the-talk

Schmowzow Videos:
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11611338/colorz-movie
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11611280/alternet-endind-to-secret-lifes-of-bees


6 comments:

  1. Part 1

    http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/Comix/?comix_id=348098485C443972

    Part 2

    http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/Comix/?comix_id=37240383C443996

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11611338/colorz-movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Xtranormal video: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11612146/lily-and-officer-hazelwurst-have-a-talk?listid=21982437

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11614082/the-secret-life-of-bees?listid=21987289

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11591488/the-secret-life-of-bees

    Caelie and Erica's Xtranormal video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Transcript of my video:

    ------------------------------------------------

    (August walks up the stairs and comes into her room, finding Lily sitting on her bed)

    August:I thought I might find you here.

    Lily:Remember when... remember when you said we should have a talk?

    August:I remember it very well.

    Lily:It's my mother.

    August:I know honey. Your mother was Deborah Fontanel Owens.

    Lily:You knew she was my mother all along.

    August:The first day you showed up, I took one look at you and all I could see was Deborah when she was your age.

    Lily:But-but-you never said a word. How come you didnt tell me?

    August:Because you weren't ready to know about her. I didn't want to risk your runnin away again, with a secret of this magnitude. I wanted yuh to have a chance to get yourself on solid ground, get your heart bolstered up first. You have to know to prod and when to be quiet, to let things take their course. That's what I've been tryin to do.

    Lily:May told me.

    August:May told you what?

    Lily:I saw her making a trail of graham crackers and marshmallows for the roaches to follow. It's an ingenius method to lure them out, you know. My father told me once that my mother used to do the same thing. I figured she'd learned it from May. So I asked her, did you ever know a Deborah Fontanel Owens? And she said yes she did, that Deborah had stayed in the honey house.

    August:Goodness, there's so much to tell. You remember how I told yuh ah worked as a housekeeper back in Richmond, before I got my oh-so industrious teaching job? Well, that was in your mother's house.

    Lily:You knew her when she was little?

    August:I used to take care of her. I ironed her dresses and packed her school lunch in a paper bag. She loved peanut butter. That's all she wanted. Peanut butter Monday through Friday. Packing her lunch became a ritual.

    Lily:What else did she love?

    (August scratches her head, lost in thought)

    August: She loved her dolls. She would hold little tea parties for em in the garden, and I would make these teeny-tiny sandwiches for their plates.What she didn't like was schoolwork. Oh, that was the one thing that agitated her. I had to stay after her all the time about it. Chase her around calling out spelling words. One time she climbed up a tree, hidin up there so she wouldn't have to memorize a poem by Robert Frost. I found her and climbed up there with the book and wouldn't let her come down till she could say the whole thing by heart. Schoolwork was always a deep crevice in her life to cross, but she did it. Why, she thought I was cunningly evil then!

    August:(pause)Lily, before we talk any more about your mother, I want you to tell me how you came to be here. All right?

    (Lily nods)

    August:You said your father was dead.

    Lily:I made that up. He's not really dead.

    August:Terrence Ray.

    Lily:You know my father, too?

    August:No, I never met him, only heard about him from Deborah.

    Lily:I call him T. Ray.

    August:Not daddy?

    Lily:He's not the daddy type. No etiquette, no manners.

    August:What do you mean?

    Lily:He yells all the time, and taunts me.

    August:At you?

    Lily:At everything in the world. But that's not the reason I left. I've got immunity to his yelling now.

    August:Then what was it, Lily?

    Lily:T. Ray. ... He told me my mother... He said she left me, that she left both of us and ran away!

    (Lily starts to cry)

    (They embrace each other and stay in this position for a while)

    Lily:I'm sorry.

    August:Don't be sorry.
    (Blues harmonica plays, camera slowly zooms out)

    (Movie ends)

    ReplyDelete

If you wish to comment, your ID name will be your class team name and the number assigned to you in class.
On the "comment as" toolbar, choose NAME/URL.
Enter your ID and number.
No URL is necessary.

All comments will be sent to Miss Drosdick for approval.
You need not register for a Google ID.
After you submit your post, a yellow box will appear telling you your comment is awaiting moderation.