Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wk. 3 Option #1: Oh Susanna!

Chapter(s) #10

Prompt:
Stephen Foster wrote the original lyrics in 1847.
I come from Alabama
With my banjo on my knee
I'm going to Louisiana,
My true love for to see

It rained all night
The day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot,
I froze to death
Susanna, don't you cry

Oh, Susanna,
Oh don't you cry for me
For I come from Alabama
With my banjo on my knee

I had a dream the other night
When everything was still
I thought I saw Susanna
A-coming down the hill

The buckwheat cake
Was in her mouth
The tear was
In her eye
Says I, I'm coming from the south
Susanna, don't you cry

Oh, Susanna,
Oh don't you cry for me
For I come from Alabama
With my banjo on my knee

I came from Salem City
with my washpan on my knee
I'm going to California,
the gold dust for to see.
It rained all night the day I left,
the weather it was dry
The sun so hot I froze to death,
Oh, brothers don't you cry.
Oh, Susannah, Oh, don't you cry for me
I'm going to California with my washpan on my knee.
I soon shall be in Frisco
and there I'll look around.
And when I see the gold lumps there,
I'll pick them off the ground.
I'll scrape the mountains clean, my boys,
I'll drain the rivers dry.
A pocketful of rocks bring home,
So, brothers don't you cry.


Response Required: Cover all parts.
  • Choose two stanzas  (poetry/musical paragraphs) to rewrite about BEES.  Pick a character.  Pick two.  Whatever you do, stick with the rhythm and flow of the song's original lyrics.  You can also listen to the song online in case you don't know it.   (When you hear it, you'll smack yourself because you do actually know it.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, T.Ray
    Don't you come for me
    For I'm in Tiburon
    With a honey jar on my knee

    I come from Slyvan,
    with duffel bag on my knee,
    I am going to Tiburon,
    the honey for me to see,
    It was cool the night I left,
    the weather was very nice
    The sun almost froze me to death
    Oh, Rosaleen don't cry
    OH, T.Ray don't you come for me
    I am going Tiburon, with a duffel bag on my knee
    I shall soon be in honey
    and I'll enjoyit all
    And when i see the little bees
    I'll watch them fly round and round.
    They'll scrape their hives dry,my ladies,
    They'll fill the jars high.
    A jarfull of honey bring home,
    Oh, T.Ray, don't you cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from richmond
    With my bees on my knee
    I'm going to tiberon,
    My true love is for bees

    It rained all night
    The day I left
    The weather it was dry
    The rock is so heavy,
    may went to death
    june, don't you cry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Lawson
    Ms. Drosdick
    Language Arts, Period 7
    March 29, 2011

    Week 3, Option 1
    Stanza 2 and 3

    From May to Lily:

    I’m not so smart.
    You all may think.
    But really I am bright.
    I just get scared
    When something’s wrong.
    But it will be alright.

    Oh, Lily Owens.
    Don’t feel bad for me.
    For I’ve come down from Virginia.
    To be a keeper of the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May:
    A river rock
    was on her chest
    no breath left
    in her lungs
    she wrote, keep on livin' now
    it was past my time

    Lily:
    The moon came
    crashin' down on me
    a revelation
    for sure
    sweet honey, and roaches too
    my, she must've been here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose the first two stanzas:

    I come from outside Sylvan
    From a hive with no queen.
    I’m heading off to Tiburon,
    With my friend Rosaleen.

    She cried all night,
    And then she left
    To find a better life.
    She wants to find
    A clear conscience.
    Oh, Lily don’t you cry.

    (note: the first stanza is from the eyes of Lily, and the other stanza isn't. I may be Deborah or Rosaleen, someone who is with her often).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a dream the other night
    When everything was still
    I thought I saw my mother
    A-coming from the closet

    The Martha white gritz
    Was on my knees
    The tear was
    In my eye
    Says I, I'm coming from the closet
    Mamma, don't you cry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Kind August,
    You do so much for me
    For I come to Tiburon
    With my best friend Rosaleen

    You teach me to never fight the bees
    To always remain calm
    It seems like you know everything
    It's like you are my Mom

    The Bees are so hard working
    It seems like they never stop
    The Bee's fly around
    Looking for flowers
    To suck nectar from atop

    ReplyDelete

If you wish to comment, your ID name will be your class team name and the number assigned to you in class.
On the "comment as" toolbar, choose NAME/URL.
Enter your ID and number.
No URL is necessary.

All comments will be sent to Miss Drosdick for approval.
You need not register for a Google ID.
After you submit your post, a yellow box will appear telling you your comment is awaiting moderation.